My speeds are slow
Slow browsing speeds or issues streaming can be caused by a multitude of factors, and typically our technical support team will need to be engaged to find the solution. However, there are several things that you can do to troubleshoot the issue yourself!
- Reboot the modem/router: Modems and routers, like home computers and other electronic devices, can sometimes require rebooting to resolve performance degradation issues. To reboot your equipment, take the following action:
- Unplug the power cord from the modem, or use the power button on the back of the device. If using a separate wireless router, unplug the power from this as well.
- Wait 10 seconds, then plug the power back in to the modem. If you are using a separate wireless router, please wait until the DSL light on the modem is solid before powering the router back up.
- Try other websites or services: It is possible that the issue is not on your end, but actually with the site or service you are trying to reach. If this is the case, trying other websites or services should quickly and conclusively demonstrate this.
- Try another device: Similarly to above, occasionally the problem will be a manifestation of device specific issues. Try loading the same website or service on another device to test for this. If you find it is working fine on a different device, in similar conditions, try restarting your device and ensuring it is up to date.
- Run a speed test: One of the best assessments of the state of your internet connection is provided through a quick test to determine the speeds being delivered to your device. For the most accurate results, we recommend testing on a device connected directly to the router via Ethernet cord.
You can run a speed test here. Once the test has completed, compare the results to your subscribed speed package.
While your speeds may not be exactly on the upper limit of what you are subscribed to, they should be close. If they are not close to your subscription, please call our technical support team for further assistance.